12.31.2013

December/2013 Year Afterword

I have returned again to write another afterword, this time for both the month of December and the year 2013. For more afterword fun, see after the jump.

First things first, I want to address the fact that there was no November afterword. I am not really sure why I did not do an afterword for November. It was probably because there was a holiday so close to the end of November that the afterword slipped my mind until after the end of November and I figured that there was no point doing it after the month had already ended. Yep, that is probably it.  It also was possibly due to the fact that there was only three posts that month: my general anime list (which has a changing date due to how I update the post), Database post 23, and the Eva Overview.  I suppose I could have written about the general anime list then, but I'm going to do that in this post, so all's well that ends well.

As for this month, it went fairly well. I managed to put up two Database posts, covering the proper introduction of Ruka Suirenji. While working on the Database posts for the month, I came to the (rather obvious in hindsight) revelation that Ruka wasn't fully introduced until almost 300 chapters in, yet she could be argued to be nearly a main character due to having a Cuties episode to herself. The only (easily memorable) person to be introduced after Ruka, Kayura, is fairly unimportant, which makes Ruka's importance all the more impressive. Ruka is quite the fascinating character. The other thing of interest is the general anime list which I started back in November. As one can tell by reading it, December was a fairly productive month for my anime watching.  I managed to watch two feature length anime, Akira and Summer Wars, because they both aired on the television. I watched Akira because it is a historic anime (I kind of liked it, especially the backgrounds) and I watched Summer Wars because it seemed like my kind of anime (it totally was). I also watched two series: Air and Beyond the Boundary. I watched Air all in one day and I quite enjoyed it and was brought to tears. I watched most of Beyond the Boundary on the day I finished it after watching the first four episodes back when they aired and I have to say that I quite enjoyed the series (but that should be obvious due to statements on the general anime page).  There was something else I did behind the scenes that also made this month fairly productive: I watched the first episode of all the anime that was on my list of series to watch. It was due to this process that I decided to start watching Hyouka, which I am enjoying a lot. Oh, I also watched some Christmas episodes from anime I like on Christmas Eve which was really fun. I think I'll list out what I watched here, even if it is a bit late for this year.

My list of Christmas anime episodes
Hidamari Sketch episode 12
Toradora episode 19 (this is a nice episode on its own, but it might be even better to watch 17 - 19)
K-On episode 07
Yuru-Yuri episode 07 (this one is my personal favorite and it also is okay for New Year's too)

So now is the part of the post that I look back over the year and think about what I have done. Concerning this log, I have done quite a bit in all honesty. I did the Cuties project which was pretty fun and I covered a little over three hundred chapters in the Database posts. I have to say that I enjoy doing the Database posts, even if I take some time starting them and I am blown away that I did twenty chapters in a single post at some point. As for this log in the coming year, I am not quite sure how well it will turn out. I do still have quite a few Database posts to do and I do have the My Eyes Are Back On You project to do, but I am not sure when that project will begin. Concerning my watching of anime in general over the past year, I have done quite a bit. I have watched at least one season of fourteen different franchises over the past year, with a lot in the summer. Some I went into not really knowing what to expect and found something I quite liked (Toradora, Baccano, Hidamari Sketch, Nyarko-San, and even Oreimo). Others I had a vague idea of what was coming my way as I stepped out of my comfort zone and found stuff I liked (Attack on Titan) and stuff I didn't like as much (Evangelion). I also discovered that stuff that makes one feel, like Toradora and Air, can be quite enjoyable, even as much as stuff that leans towards humor, like Nyarko-San and Hayate. As for the future of my anime watching, I am currently watching Hyouka and for other series that I will watch in the future just look at the third section of the general anime list.

So until the next post, whatever it may be, I hope you the reader have an excellent start to the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment