4.09.2013

Hayate no Gotoku Manga Arc Database Commencement Announcement (and glossary)

So here I am, back after exactly a month from my last post announcing what the new anime, Hayate no Gotoku: Cuties, entails.  Now if you are observant you will have noticed that Cuties has begun and maybe you think that I have made my glorious return to this log to write about Cuties episodes.  If you, the reader, thought that then you are somewhat correct.  I did plan to do write-ups for Cuties, but due to a lack of legal access to the anime I am unable to do any write-ups yet.  So to compensate I will begin a project that I had suggested I might begin at some point quite awhile ago.  Daily until next Tuesday I will endeavor to put forth arc database pages which will contain: a name for the arc that I choose, information about characters introduced, information about events of note that happened in the arc, how large the arc is, and any of my personal thoughts.  This post will also serve the important purpose of acting as a place in which I will post a glossary of what I mean when I use certain terms (which will be after the jump. I know this is weird to have a jump, but the post seems kind of unwieldy otherwise.)


Glossary of Terms Used
Terms Concerning Arc Structure

Sub-arc: This is an arc that is within another arc and I honestly think it needs to be acknowledged apart from the larger arc it is within.  This is used in the first database page in an odd way.  Otherwise, this indicates that the arc indicated caught my attention past being part of a larger arc.
Grand arc: This term indicates that there is a larger thematic theme that acts as a canopy over the arcs thoroughly discussed.  This term comes into play around 200 chapters in.

Terms Concerning Arc Size/Length
(Quick note about these terms: when arcs are actually named in the database they will be in the format of "arc name: a ------- arc" with the line indicating where the describing word goes.  An example is "Valentine's Day: A Mini-Arc".)

None: This term indicates that arc designated is not really a story arc, but is instead an amalgamation of either very loosely associated chapters or chapters with nothing really in common storywise.  This is indicated by a lack of any descriptor after the arc name.
Mini: This indicates that the arc is two chapters long.  Yeah that's about it.
Short: This indicates that the arc is about three to five-ish chapters long and thus is fairly sizeable.
Long: This indicates that the arc is around six to twelve chapters long and takes some time to read.
Large: This indicates an arc that is more around twenty to thirty chapters and is likely composed of sub-arcs. These arcs are not quite grand arcs, but they have the same feel as they represent a theme more than an elaborated event.

Terms Concerning Events
Events are divide into two categories: major and minor.  The meanings of those terms are here.

Major: These events are those events that affect the story overall or are integral to the arc they occurred in.
Minor: These events are those that are of note, but don't affect the overarching story much and do not define the arc they occurred in.

No comments:

Post a Comment